Math: Number Sense
1. Please continue to read with your child and review WWW's as often as possible
2. We will be celebrating Valentine's Day on Wednesday, February 14th. If your child would like to send in cards, please have them send in for the whole group. We have 20 friends in our classroom. Also, please only have you child write their name on the card, this will make distributing the cards much easier.
3. Ash Wednesday is this Wednesday – School mass beings at 10:50 AM, all are welcome!
4. Thank you for returning our Class Journal promptly! We are still working on completely Entry #1. It’s turning out to be a great way to promote meaningful writing J
5. On Friday, February 16th, Ryan Hreljac (the founder of The Ryan’s Well Foundation) will be coming in to speak to Grade 1-6 students. Spirit Week will start the following week and money raised will be going to Ryan's Well Foundation. Donations will be accepted through cash online.
Spirit Week Themes:
Monday, February 19th: Family Day - NO SCHOOL
Tuesday, February 20th: Jersey Day + Scientist in the School
Wednesday, February 21st: Favourite Character Day
Thursday, February 22nd: Crazy Hat/Hair Day
Friday, February 23rd: Tacky Tourist Day
8. Our Scientist in school workshop is Tuesday, February 21st in the morning. We now have enough Parent Volunteers. Thank you for all of your support!
We loved reading the Advent Journals as a class. Students took a lot of pride in sharing and showing what they wrote at home. I will be sending home a new shared journal. Each student will have an opportunity to bring the journal home. We will decide on a new topic every few week, eventually creating something that we can look back on at the end of the year. Please send the journal back the next day, this will ensure that every child has an opportunity to write and share.
Health: We are learning about…
Thank you for your continued support. Our learning would not happen without you!
The month of December has been one filled with joy, learning, fun, and anticipation. We have been getting our hearts ready for the coming of Jesus by reading and talking about Advent. Mrs. St-Louis has been very kind in sharing her Advent book and calendar with us. Each day we read a story from the Advent book and read a message of kindness from the calendar. These messages inspire and encourage us to show others how much we truly care about them. We also took time to read our kindness angels and write notes to each other. Both the notes and angels are displayed on our classroom window to act as a reminder for us.
1. Our Christmas Concert is this Friday! The students have been working very hard over the past month and a half to prepare for this. We are so excited to show and share this special performance with you. The concert begins at 9:30 AM and our class will be preforming closer to the end. Please have your child wear any Christmas colours/hats.
2. Thank you for your generous donations since the beginning of the year. We truly appreciate your support in our learning journey. We are still collecting gently used towels/blankets to help care for our furry friends at the Ottawa Humane Society.
3. Please continue to review the WWW’s from this week and past. We are becoming WWW expects! This daily review is proving to be very beneficial to our reading and writing. I am very proud of how well we are doing :)
Wishing you and your families a happy, healthy, and memorable Christmas and New Year!
Warm holiday wishes,
The Christmas Season is finally here and we are so excited! Red and green are our new favorite colours and drawings of Christmas trees can be found on almost every piece of paper! We are talking about how Christmas is a time for giving and showing kindness. We are learning about Advent and taking time each day to think about those we love.
Physical Education: Soccer skills
Here are a few activities that you can play at home to help your child learn WWW's, everyday words and important math concepts. These activities can be played in both English and French!
Make words with small objects! Our students love to write with small stones or jewels (Dollar Store and Dollar Tree are great places to get these items cheap).
Which Word is Right? Write 3 spellings of the sight word, only 1 correct. Have your child erase the wrong words, leave the correct spelling!
Dry Erase Writing: Have your child write the word you call out on a dry erase board. Allow him/her to look at the word wall if needed to keep things positive. You could do this on the IPAD or computer or even a Boogie board.
Make words out of play dough or pipe cleaners
Rainbow Writing : Our students like using markers to write the words in different colours. You can even buy the paint for windows and they could write their WWW on their window in their room!
Search and Read: Put words on post it notes and hide them around the house. Have you child find the words and read them back to you!
Word Search: Here is a website that you can make your own word search. You can either print it out or have your child play it on the computer. Make a word search puzzle
Concentration or Matching Game: You can use this game for math concepts (numbers, shapes, patterns...) and language (French or English words). Put words or math concepts on index cards. You could make 2 sets and they have to match the same words or match the number word to the number, or shape to the shape word etc.
Play cards - Play using words or math concepts.
Here is a wonderful game that you can play at home to practice our WWW! You can:
Over the past week we have been:
Science: Structures Unit
We are collecting coffee cans for a top secret project! Please send in large coffee cans :) Thank you!